I have spent considerable time on my other sites, particularly dark brightness, to get it up and running, and now I am coming to this site and doing a few things.

  1. I lost all of dark brightness, but vaultpress bought it back. This is now installed.
  2. The A2 hosting plugins are in place.
  3. I have added NextGen Gallery as a trial: the paid versions of this look good but let’s see if it is compatible. It looks like it can handle larger photo posts, which will be useful here.

In the meantime, some analogue photos.


First go, New55 monobath.

I shot two rolls of film: this one, which is on Ultrafine 400 film, and developed them with New55 r3 Monobath. As I was going out (to shoot more stuff) I diluted this 1:10 and then let it sit for 50 minutes. I got a moderate result with this on this film, which looked cloudy… but scanned up fairly well.


Fujifilm GSW 690 6×9 medium format camera, scanned using Epson V800 scanner, and some processing post scan

The sea and sheds [Film in Dropbox no. 1]

Reatha has managed to excell herself. Over the weekend 234 scans were deposited into my dropbox account, all as .tiff files.

Now, each of these files is fairly big, and I am scanning them and bulk transforming them: having tried to use lightroom (which led to very big files) I have turned them into pngs using Rawtherapee and downsized them.

two different films: most are Velvia, Shot using a Leica M6, with a Voightlander 21mm f4 Skopar lens. The monochrome, however, was shot with the Texas Leica (Fuji GF690) with a fixed normal lens, and is on Holgapan.

All scanning and developing by Reatha Kenny, Who has a kickstarter up — she needs a new machine to keep her going, so support her.


These shots were taken with the Fujica. Ektar film, developed and scanned at Film Soup by Reatha, and I have simply converted them to jpegs using Lightzone.

The Hotere sculpture park, Analog, and not quite crossprocessed.

This film looks fogged and the colours came out all funky, but that has given an inadvertant cross processed look, which is more than appropriate given I was shooting at a lookout over Port Chalmers and in the Hotere Sculpture park. On reflection, I under-exposed the film by metering on an exposed view and then shooting everything else at the same level: I should have used the zone system. But with a bit of tweaking in Darktable we have some abstractish images.

Ektar (c41) shot using Fuji GW690ii (Texas Leica), processed and scanned by Reatha at Film Soup, processed in Darktable and now 1500×1000 16 bit pngs.

Analog cloud study.

It’s funny. I get film back from Reatha at Film soup and I’m excited by the scans and basically post them straight away. The digital stuff does not hit me emotionally as much — even though I do generally take digital shots of the same things.

But this shot is another example of when medium format works and digital does not. It was a very foggy day, and I was trying to shoot directly at the sun, get the discoid shape, and how the light was reflecting through the haze while still keeping the scene in focus and sharp. I have tried to do this multiple times with a DSLR and I have never liked the results. Again, taken with the texas leica, and again, I only got three shots on the roll (losing some due to film issues — one of the reasons that when I saw a mamiya 7 body going cheap, I grabbed it).


Kodak Ektar 100, medium format, processed and scanned by Reatha. Minimal processing in Darktable. File 16 bit png, 1500×1000.

Doctors Point, analog.

Shooting with a Fujifilm GW690 is difficult and it means you waste a lot of film with leaks. I’m in the process of getting another rangefinder — one where I can swap lenses — but I do like the balky beast. And these two photos show why.

Kodak Ektar 100, medium format, processed and scanned by Reatha. Minimal processing in Darktable. Files 16 bit png, 1500×1000.