A mamiya 7, Dunedin Harbour.

I’m moving and all the darkoom stuff is in storage. So these are downloaded from the Darkroom site: one roll of 120, shot with a Mamiya 7ii, no processing.

PMK and walk.

I took some Agfa Retro 400 film to Lake Hawea last week. When I got back, I pulled out my PMK Pyro from Photographer’s Formulary and TP-4 Archival Fix.

A quick word on technique. Firstly, get distilled water. The simplest place for this is the bottled water section of the supermarket. Get the biggest bottle you can afford. Once you have loaded the film onto the reels and it is safely in the daylight tank, fill the tank with distilled water, tap, invert and leave while you get the PMK together. Then pour it out, insert the PMK, and invert.

I developed this film for 12 minutes, inverting for the first minuet and 10 -15 seconds every second minute.

Then remove PMK, rinse with distilled water, and add Tp-4. I gave that three minutes, then rinse again, then hung the film to dry.

img_20161008_120543

Anyway, the pictures.

Post processed in Darktable, primarily by shrinking files.

First go, New55 monobath.

I shot two rolls of film: this one, which is on Ultrafine 400 film, and developed them with New55 r3 Monobath. As I was going out (to shoot more stuff) I diluted this 1:10 and then let it sit for 50 minutes. I got a moderate result with this on this film, which looked cloudy… but scanned up fairly well.

DSC_0243

Fujifilm GSW 690 6×9 medium format camera, scanned using Epson V800 scanner, and some processing post scan

Sensor size , Industrial and X-trans.

I avoided getting or playing with X-trans sensors when they first came out. Decoding them was a pain, and there workflow was not there. This is now solved, and Fuji is releasing a new version of their sensor which is competing with in the 20 MP sweet spot. But these are taken with an older 16 MP sensor.

I have a hate/love relationship with megapixels: I own a D800 so deal with 34 MP files, but most of the time that stays home and I’m using micro 4/3 or APS cameras. Because they are easier to fly with.

But… the current generation of CX (one inch), cellphone (at least my one), micro 4/3 (Panasonic G8) APS (Fuji X-pro 2, Nikon D500, and many others) and pro Full frame (Nikon D5, Canon 1 current model) produge 20 MP files. This has become the sweet spot: there is some improvement over 16 MP but not enough to upgrade just for that…

And the large landscape DSLRs — the D810 replacement, the Canon 5, the Sony… are now in the 40-50 MP range. Where Medium format sensors were a while ago.

But… that is still nowhere near where you get with medium format and a scanner. One of the reasons film is not dead is that for the cost of an X-pro 2 body (about 1600 dollarw) you can get a full Bronica Sq-A kit, and a scanner. If you are chasing megapixels, go analogue.

But better still, take more photos.

Harrington Point, Bronica.

These scans were the surprise of the film. Some shots did not have enough contrast, and these were generally underexposed… but there is something about them I like.

Ultrafine 400 film, Pyro PMK developer, scanned and cross coded with Shotwell.

Palmeston and a Bronica.

Ultrafine 400 film, PMK Pyro developer (with some errors) and cut down with shotwell. The railway yard at Palmeston, Otago.

First go with PMK Pyro and TP-4

At present I am working on my analog skills… including rediscovering developing film. I generally use 120 film for this… as I find it easier to handle and get into a tank, using Patterson reels.

For this I used Photographer’s Formulary PMK Pyro, and their general fixer TP-4

I was using Chinese film (cheap. lots of it) and as it was snowing outside started by mixing the pyro (5 ml A plus 10 ML b plus 500 ml water) and TP-4 (one to four dulution) — there is a manual for this — and warmed them while soaking the film for a few minutes.

IMG_20150905_133719283_HDR

Then I developed for 14 minutes, agitating every minute, stopped using plain water, then one minute of TP-4 to fix… then two minutes of the used film developer, then rinsed for thity minutes under running water.

IMG_20150905_140128747_HDR

While that was going on I stripped off the gloves I had been wearing and had a shower… which meant the shower area was fairly dust free. I hung the film in there to dry.

IMG_20150905_144632674

I’, going to scan this film but that is another learning curve. Let’s say that there is an android phone app which takes photos of your scans and then scans that… and it’s fairly useless. This is the best I can get using that…

20150909_225436

But getting the scanner working is another job and post. Finally, wash everything, ensure there is no residue, and leaveIMG_20150905_144315120_HDR them to dry.

St Clair, June Storm, Surfers.

This is from the June Analog files: Leica M6, 35 mm Voightlander. The files are foll size (and yes, there are surfers in most of these photos).

Let’s just say that the surfers were wearing their winter wetsuits.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Winter Horses

Leica M6, 35 mm Lens, and the second snowfall of winter.

Photos transcribed from .tiff scans (done at Film Soup) in Shotwell, and are full size jpegs.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.