Moeraki…

These shots were taken with the Fujica. Ektar film, developed and scanned at Film Soup by Reatha, and I have simply converted them to jpegs using Lightzone.

35 mm at Karekare.

This set of shots was taken with a Leica M6, using Ilford FP4 and a Voightlander 21 mm F4 lens.

Film processed in lightzone by using the “Hard” effect as I wanted to increase the crunchiness of the picture, accepting some grain. Developed and scanned by Reatha from Film Soup.

Ektar and a Mamiya.

THis is basically the second film that went through the Mamiya 7. I was shooting Ektar, which has a bit more tolerence for brutality, and using the wide angle lens, but without, obviously, any filters. On a very gray day, on signal hill.

All photos scanned and processed by Reatha Kenny at Film Soup, and then reduced in size and turned into pngs in Rawtherapee.

Sunsets.

Two galleries here: both taken using the Nikon V1. The first is on a stormy evening, taken my me, using raw, and modified in darktable, all files as 16 bit pngs

And this set of photos was taken by my son, on the same camera. I have adujsted them using aonther programme, lightzone, that does allow fro some useful effects, hadnled jpg the son took from teh camera as he inadvertantly shot moives, but cannot handle Nikon raw files

The second lot of photos were taken on a fine evening climbing up Mt Cargill, the first set were taken in Roslyn only a few days earlier.

Garden experiments

I was using the 50 mm macro lens on the Ricoh GXR. Technically, this is a 16 MP sensor, about APS-C size, attached to a high quality lens. It is fairly inflexible, and probably needs a tripod — which is a reason that I will be moving to an Arca swiss system and getting plates for everything.

But the landscape view was directly behind the flower. Ricoh GXR, 50 mm macro, processed in Darktable: 16 bit png files.

Three mile hill

This weekend I am back in Dunedin, and this is the results of processing shots taken using the D800 using Darktable.

At present I have a double system of processing. I import into Shotwell, and then publish the photos extracted from RAW automatically to both Picasa and Flickr. I then fire up a photo processor — usually Darktable — and process the photos.

This lot needed a fair amount of processing. I was using a +2 cokin filter with a transition filter giving me another 2 stops reduction of sunlight. I was shooting, deliberately, into the sun. And I was trying to focus on moving subjects. Which did not work that well — the shot I am most satisfied with is one shot across the road at a shed made out of an old rain tank.

The usefulness of Jetlag. [Ricoh GXR].

All taken on Sunday: initially starting as dawn

Ricoh GXR, processing in Rawtherapee. All files shrunk, and are 16 bit pngs.

Now a quick rant about bad camera choices. I was pushing the Ricoh as hard as I could on this trip, taking shots before dawn — a couple of the shots in this collection were down to 1/15th of a second. The thing does not focus fast enough, and is not flexible enough. The wide angle shots worked (these are the ones I am showing). It would have been much more flexible to take a Nikon one with two primes and a zoom, and accepted the smaller files and having to deal with .NEF instead of .DNG files as a consequence. It may be that eventually (if and when the Nikon dies) that I’ll replace the V series with some form of Micro 4/3rds camera, now that they have reasonable wide angle systems, but whatever I take has to remain lightweight. I walked about 8 km that morning, and lightness matters.

One useful hack I have found is that the viewfinder from the Ricoh GR functions for the GXR wide angle lens… and is harder to destroy than the electronic viewfinder. I have ruined my version of that, and it is impossible to find a replacement for it.

Most of the photos were taken using a folding camera, and these will be off to film soup. Reatha has a mini Marvin to set up… and I hve now a bunch of exposed film in the fridge.

Wakari evening, and other stuff.

Taken yesterday, at dusk, with the light reflecting of the local substation. Nikon one, Normal lens.

DSC_4038

DSC_4039

In the meantime, Film Soup is struggling with getting their automated machine which is used for C-41 (colour negative) printing running and it looks like they could be running a Kickstarted for this. So the film is being stacked in the fridge at the moment.

IMAG0400

The final picture, like the film, comes from the cellphone, and has no technical merit. The light, however, was good.

IMG_20140805_081910

Doctor’s Point Redux.

Following church, we drove up to Doctor’s Point. As with yesterday, I was primarily shooting slide film: today the light was so harsh that I had to pull out a meter and set things manually. Both photos at f9: one at 1/540th of a second, the other at 1/440th. Processed in Darktable, minimal correction.

South Peninsula, Cloud, Dusk

One of the rules about taking landscape photography is to get out there when the light is good and the weather bad. Well, the weather yesterday was filthy: it started at around 10 degrees and raining horizontally, and got worse. I was shooting slide film and using the Ricoh GXR with a 28 mm equiv. lens as backup.

Ricoh GXR stopped down, hand held (I have a lot of failed files — some shots have a 1/2 second exposure on them. Hand held). Processed in Darktable, 16 bit png files.